Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Cherry Rhubarb Crumble

I've mentioned this a couple of times before, but my husband and I bought our first house last August.  We've been here for 9 months now and I'm still amazed by and in love with our house.  I can't really believe it's ours!  It's nothing fancy, not very big and over 40 years old with its share of issues, but I love it anyway.  One of the many things I love about our house is the giant rhubarb plants in the yard.  I always wanted rhubarb and I definitely have it now!  All winter long I waited until I could finally make something with my rhubarb, and the rhubarb has grown an insane amount in the past 2 weeks.  This recipe needed only 4 stalks because each stalk was about 3 feet long!
 
During the winter, I periodically thought about what kind of rhubarb recipe I wanted to make.  I settled on something with cherries because we got a jar of amazing cherry rhubarb jam from my mother-in-law's friend.  We haven't had to buy jam in 9 years because this friend always gives us lots of jars of her wonderful creations, and the cherry rhubarb jam was really something else.

This crumble recipe came from Taste of Home and it sure didn't disappoint!  It's on the tart side for sure, but my husband and I both loved it and had seconds.  Here's to many more years of desserts with our homegrown rhubarb!
 
Cherry Rhubarb Crumble
 
4 C diced rhubarb, leaves discarded
1 C sugar
1 C water
2 Tbsp cornstarch
21 oz can cherry pie filling
1 tsp almond extract
1 C oats
1 C flour
1 C brown sugar (I used dark)
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick cold butter
 
Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9 by 13 baking dish.
 
Stir together diced rhubarb, sugar, water, and cornstarch in a large saucepan until the liquid portion is smooth.  Heat over high, stirring frequently, until the liquid comes to a boil and thickens.  Remove from heat and stir in cherry pie filling and almond extract.  Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and set aside.
 
Stir together oats, flour, brown sugar, and salt, then cut the butter into small cubes and work it into the oat mixture until crumbly.  Sprinkle evenly over the rhubarb mixture and bake until golden on top and bubbly around the edges, 30-40 minutes.
 
Yield: 12 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment